Cultural Tourism in Castelldefels
Castelldefels is a city with millenary foundations symbolized by the Castle that has more than ten centuries of history where time stands still at the top of the hill.
The Origin of the Name
The name of Castelldefels originates from Castrum Felix which is a Roman form of faithful castle and from this comes the name of the city Castelldefels.
Variety of Offers for Cultural Tourism
To attend the fiestas of Castelldefels is unique experience and a part of the city culture.
The huge cultural variety of the city can be found in theatrical works, concerts, original version films art exhibitions, photographic exhibitions, popular dance, storytelling and other activities which are run throughout the year.
THE CASTLE OF CASTELLDEFELS
The castle of Castelldefels is found at the top of a hill, in a dominant position on the edge of the coast between the mass of El Garraf and Barcelona. Dating from the sixteenth century and the church within existed from the tenth century, it was constructed over centuries on top of Iberian and roman ruins. It was used to control the territory and as a defence fortification against invading Arabs between the sixteenth and seventeenth centres and against pirate attacks from invading Berbers.
In 1890 Manuel Girona bought and reformed the castle. Finally in 1988 it was acquired by the Castelldefels Townhall when the continuing renovations were started.
From Tuesdays to Sundays (Holidays included) from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Last entrance to the castle at 6 p.m.
Castelldefels is one of the extremities of the Llobregat Delta together with the first line of mountains forming the El Garraf mass. From Roman times this space with very shallow waterways has been filled with the sand brought by the Llobregat river from the dynamic Catalan coastline. And has been enjoyed as a port to weigh anchor, given the impossibility of constructing a regular port. The boats used to come to the shore and in the past they came to sell their goods.
In the sixteenth century the threat of the Berber pirates who were travelling down the Spanish coastline forced the inhabitants to hide in the mountains. The bad state of the castle formed no defence for the citizens. In 1550 the citizens decided to start rebuilding the castle in case of the pirates attacking once more. Not only this they also fortified the city with towers which had drawbridges to the first floor. These towers are visible to this day throughout the city.
THE ROMAN CASTLE CHURCH
The first time documented data was written about the Roman church of Santa Maria was in the year 967.
In the tenth century Castelldefels was a frontier territory of the Muslim Caliphate of Cordoba .
At that time Count Sunyer was the incumbent of the monastery of Sant Cugat which later on would become the future Castelldefels. Under the direction of the monastery the construction of the church of Santa Maria began.
THE CHURCH OF SANTA MARIA
In the year 1897 a banker named Manuel Girona bought the whole Castle structure and the church parish adjoining for his own use. He retained the services of the architect Enric Sagnier who had constructed the outside of the church in the style of the Latin cross with three semi-circular aisles and the walls in the romantic Byzantine style.
The attraction of the beach of Castelldefels increasing the number of summer visitors together with the devouring blaze suffered in the civil war brought the necessity to bring the reconstruction of the church to an end. In 1948 Nilo Tusquets the architect endowed it with 3 naves and a new work of wood covering.Years later the artist Serra Santa decorated the frescos and the lateral walls using the local inhabitants of Castelldefels as models.. The themes these decorations were from are the Misterio del Rosario and the most expressive passages of the New Testament.
THE VIGIA TOWERS
There are twelve towers that have been preserved. The majority of these constructions were from the second half of the sixteenth century, at which time the attacks from the Berber pirates were most frequent along the mediterranean coasts of the Iberian peninsular. Actually most of the towers are private property and so visitors are unable to see inside. The situations of the towers is as follows.
Torre Barona – Avenida de Rei en Jaume Inside the grounds of Hotel de Rey Don Jaime
Torre de Vigia – Pl.del Castell – central
Torre Moruna – Pl. Torre Moruna (Urbanizacion Bellamar)
Torre Gabriel Folcher – Calle Arcadi Balaguer, 106
Torre de Antoni – Calle Isaac Peral
Torre Can Valls de la Muntanyeta – Calle SantiagoRusinol (La Muntanyeta)
Torre Can Moliner – Placa Mayor 41
Torre Climent Savall – Calle Arcadi Balaguer 116
Torre Fael and Cal Patxoca – Calle 320, 18 – 22
Torre de Can Roca de Baix – Calle Bisbe Urquinaona 17
Torre Can Vinyes – Passeig de Can Vinyes 49
Torre de Can Gonar – Castell de la Cultura de Castelldefels
BUDDHIST MONASTERY EL GARRAF
The Palau Novella in the heart of the El Garraf Park became the first Buddhist monastery of Catalunia in 1996
In the Garraf monastery you are able to find various cultural activities like a guided visit of the Palau Novella where you can observe on one hand the architecture of the building in its eclectic style and on the other hand an exhibition of art and culture in the Tibetan style and also find the millennium spiritual tradition and the Buddhist philosophical values.You can also feel the experience with relaxation workshops, conferences and other activities related to the interior connection.
In the gardens of the monastery we find the “Estupa Namgyal” a sacred monument that represents the illuminated mind or awakened conscience. Close by to the monastery is the walk of the romantic lake.
For more information and reservations 937 432 285 and 937 432 010
The farmhouse is a typical rural construction of Catalunia. The Castelldefels area has numerous farms built in different times.
It is possible to visit those which are the property of the town.
Cal Ganxo a municipal property re-constructed in 1997
Cami del Ganxo
Phone: 935 146 151
- Monday-Friday 08.00 – 15.00h.
- Saturdays and Sundays 10.00 – 14.00h.
Can Vinader Situated at the start of the road La Sentiu
Can Gomar in the Plaza de la Cultura near to Can Roca de Baix it is the Casa de la Cultura
Inaugarated on the 15th November 2009 it is not only for plays but also offers space for performances by local groups and associations.
The Plaza theatre has two distinct area one for performances and another for practise and rehearsal.
The theatre itself brings together all the essence of the atmosphere that the city generates and the spectaculars brought by performers from outside.
The theatre contains
A patio with seating for 403 people
A stage of 132 square metres (12 metres wide by 11metres deep)
4 dressing rooms of 20 square metres each on floor floors accessed by lift
The theatre is completed by the entrance hall, ladies and gentleman’s cloakrooms and 152 square metre storage area.With a varied programme the Plaza Theatre offers a cultural aspect of the city with a programmed divided between two seasons, January to June and September to December.
+ INFO www.teatroplaza.org
PARTIES AND FAIRS
Cabalgata de Reyes The Three Kings 5th January
Sant Jordi 23rd April
Sant Ponc Last week of May
Fiestas del Mar 16th July
Fiestas Mayor de Verano 15th August
Castanada 31st October
Fiesta Mayor de Invierno 8th December
Cabalgata de Papa Noel 22nd December