The Castelldefels Castle is situated on the highest point around, in a dominating position over the coastal stretch of land between the Garraf Massif and Barcelona. It dates back to the 16th century, although the church inside existed as early as the 10th century and was built on Iberian and Roman remains. It was used for centuries to control the territory and as a defensive stronghold against Arabian invasions. Between the 16th and 17th centuries, it defended against the Barbary pirates.
In 1897, Manuel Girona bought the castle and renovated it. It was finally acquired in 1988 by the Castelldefels Town Hall, at which point it began its process of recovery which continues today.